AquaTech4FeedPhoto: Mark Lietze
novel feed products
IN VITRO PROTEIN DIGESTIBILITY OF DIFFERENT NOVEL INGREDIENTS BY TROUT DIGESTIVE ENZYMES - A. Galafat, M.I. Sáez, A.J. Vizcaíno, S. Paolacci, G. Markou, G. Rossi, T.F. Martínez, F.J. Alarcón
[XX International symposium on fish nutrition and feeding towards precision fish nutrition and feeding - Sorrento, Italy - 5/9 June 2022]
The bioavailability of nutrients and efficiency of fish enzymes to hydrolyse dietary ingredients determines their nutritional quality. In this sense, species-specific in vitro digestibility assays represent very useful tools when evaluating the potential of specific feedstuffs as novel ingredients for using in aquafeeds. These assays would greatly contribute to the three Rs principle by refining the in vivo experimentation requested with animals during the preliminary evaluation of novel ingredients. Taking these considerations into account, the main objective of this work was the in vitro evaluation of duckweed (Lemna sp.), microalgae (Nannochloropsis sp.), dabberlocks (Alaria esculenta) and deffated insect meal (Tenebrio molitor), using as reference ingredient fishmeal. in vitro protein hydrolysis of the novel ingredients was carried out by means of an in vitro digestibility assay using rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) digestive enzymes. During the course of the in vitro assay, samples
were withdrawn at different times to evaluate the degree of hydrolysis expressed as Coefficient of Protein Degradation (CPD), and to quantify amino acids released. Additionally, a quantification of the reducing sugars released by rainbow trout enzymes was performed. Results obtained showed that protein content ranged from 11% in A. esculenta to 55% in T. molitor. On the other hand, visualization of electrophoresis gels revealed a progressive hydrolysis of the different protein fractions until the end of the assay, represented by a decrease in the optical density of bands. In addition, total free amino acids released at the end of the in vitro assay ranged from 2g 100 g protein-1 in the case of A. esculenta to 6 g 100 g protein-1 in Nannochloropsis sp., being those values lower than those obtained for fishmeal (9 g 100 g protein-1). Finally, data obtained from the quantification of reducing sugars revealed a negligible capability of trout enzymes for hydrolysing the polysaccharides, particularly those contained in the cell wall.
- Galafat, A.; Vizcaíno, A.J.; Sáez, M.I.; Martinez, T.F.; Jerez-Cepa, I.; Mancera, J.M.; Alarcon, F.J. (2020). Evaluation of Arthrospira sp. enzyme hydrolysate as dietary additive in gilthead seabream (Sparus aurata) juveniles. Journal of Applied Phycology 32, 3089–3100. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10811-020-02141-0
- Ayala, M.D.; Galián, C.; Fernández, V.; Chaves-Pozo, E.; García de la Serrana, D.; Sáez, M.I.; Galafaz Díaz, A.; Alarcón, F.J.; Martínez, T.F.; Arizcun, M. (2020). Influence of Low Dietary Inclusion of the Microalga Nannochloropsis gaditana (Lubián 1982) on Performance, Fish Morphology, and Muscle Growth in Juvenile Gilthead Seabream (Sparus aurata). Animals, 10, 2270. https://doi.org/10.3390/ani10122270
- Rossi, G.; Bußler, S.; Durek, J.; Ojha, S.; Schlüter, O. (2020). Synchronous front-face fluorescence measurement as a method to rapid discrimination of edible insect powders. Insects to Feed the World 2020 Virtual Conference. Journal of Insects as Food and Feed: 6 (Supplement 1)-Page: S61. https://doi.org/10.3920/jiff2020.s1
- Sáez, M.I.; Suárez, M.D.; Alarcón, F.J.; Martínez, T.F. (2021). Assessing the Potential of Algae Extracts for Extending the Shelf Life of Rainbow Trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) Fillets. Foods 10, 910. https://doi.org/10.3390/foods10050910
- Sales, R.; Galafat, A.; Vizcaíno, A.J.; Sáez, M.I.; Martínez, T.F.; Cerón-García, M.C.; Navarro-López, E.; Tsuzuki, M.Y.; Acién-Fernández, F.G.; Molina-Grima, E.; Alarcón, F.J. (2021). Effects of dietary use of two lipid extracts from the microalga Nannochloropsis gaditana (Lubián, 1982) alone and in combination on growth and muscle composition in juvenile gilthead seabream, Sparus aurata. Algal Research, 53, 102162, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.algal.2020.102162.
- Galafat, A.; Vizcaíno, A.J.; Sáez, M.I.; Martínez, T.F.; Alarcón, F.J. (2021). The potential of algae for feeding aquaculture fish. In: Macro and Microalgae as source of Bioproducts and Dietary Ingredients in Aquaculture. Centro Tecnológico del Mar, Vigo-Spain.
- Rossi, G.; Ojha, S.; Durek, J.; Bußler, S.; Schlüter, O. (2021). Description and characterization of the fluorescence landscape of edible insect powders. ISEKI-Food conference Online 2021
- Ojha, S.; Bußler, S.; Psarianos, M.; Rossi, G.; Schlüter, O. (2021). Edible insect processing pathways and implementation of emerging technologies. Journal of Insects as Food and Feed, 7(5), 877-900. https://doi.org/10.3920/JIFF2020.0121
- Zhu, X.; Healy, L.; Zhang, Z.; Maguire, J.; Sun, D. W.; Tiwari, B. K. (2021). Novel postharvest processing strategies for value-added applications of marine algae. Journal of the science of food and agriculture, https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.11166
- Rossi, G.; Ojha, S.; Durek, J.; Schlüter, O. (2021). Description and haracterization of the fluorescence excitation emission matrix of powders from selected edible Orthoptera species: a chemometric approach. Insecta conference 2021. Magdeburg-Germany, 8-9 September 2021
- Rossi, G.; Ojha, S.; Durek, J.; Schlüter O. (2021). Effect of light exposure on fluorescence landscape of edible insects during storage. EFFoST Conference 2021 - European Federation of Food Science and Technlology. Lausanne-Switzerland, 1-4 November 2021.
- Rossi, G.; Durek, J.; Ojha, S.; Schlüter, O. (2021). Fluorescence-based characterisation of selected edible insect species: Excitation emission matrix (EEM) and parallel factor (PARAFAC) analysis. Current Research in Food Science, 4, 862-872. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.crfs.2021.11.004
- Galafat, A.; Vizcaíno, A.J.; Sáez, M.I.; Martínez, T.F.; Arizcun, M.; Chaves-Pozo, E.; Alarcón, F.J. (2022). Assessment of dietary inclusion of crude or hydrolysed Arthrospira platensis biomass in starter diets for gilthead seabream (Sparus aurata). Aquaculture, Volume 548, Part 2, 2022, 737680, ISSN 0044-8486 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2021.737680
- Isabel, S. M.; Galafat, A.; Vizcaíno, A. J.; Chaves-Pozo, E.; Ayala, M. D.; Arizcun, M.; Alarcón, F.J.; Suárez, M.D.; Martínez, T. F. (2022). Evaluation of Nannochloropsisgaditana raw and hydrolysed biomass at low inclusion level as dietary functional additive for gilthead seabream (Sparus aurata) juveniles. Aquaculture, Volume 556, 2022 738288. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2022.738288
- García Márquez, J.; Galafat, A.; Vizcaino, A. J.; Barany, A.; Martos-Sitcha, J. A.; Mancera, J. M.; Acien, G.; Figureoa, F.L.; Alarcon, F.J.; Abdala-Díaz, R. T. (2022). Dietary use of the microalga Chlorella fusca improves growth, metabolism, and digestive functionality in thick-lipped grey mullet (Chelon labrosus, Risso 1827) juveniles. Frontiers in Marine Science, Volume 9, 90220. https://doi.org/10.3389/fmars.2022.902203
- Rossi, G.; Ojha, S.; Shumo, M.; Rehde, G.; Schlüter, O. (2022). Aquaculture waste valorisation with black soldier fly larvae: a circular approach. Insects to Feed the World international conference. Quebec City - Canada, 13-16 June 2022. Journal of Insects as Food and Feed: 8 (Supplement 1)-Page: S136. https://doi.org/10.3920/jiff2022.s1
- Galafat, A.; Sáez, M.I.; Vizcaíno, A.J.; Paolacci, S.; Markou, G.; Rossi, G.; Martínez, T.F.; Alarcón, F.J. (2022). In vitro protein disgestibility of different novel ingredients by trout digestive enzymes. XX International symposium on Fish Nutrition and Feeding towards precision fish nutrition and feeding. Sorrento - Italy, 5-9 June 2022.
Ayala, M.D.; Balsalobre, N.; Chaves-Pozo, E.; Sáez, M.I.; Galafat, A.; Alarcón, F.J.; Martínez, T.F.; Arizcun, M. (2023). Long-term effects of a short juvenile feeding period with diets enriched with the microalgae Nannochloropsis gaditana on the subsequent body and muscle growth of gilthead seabream, Sparus aurata L. Animals, 13, 482. https://doi.org/10.3390/ani1303048
García-Márquez, J., Vizcaíno, A. J., Barany, A., Galafat, A., Acién, G., Figueroa, F. L., Alarcon, F. J., Mancera, J. M., Martos-Sitcha, J. A., Arijo, S., Abdala-Díaz, R. T. (2023). Evaluation of the Combined Administration of Chlorella fusca and Vibrio proteolyticus in Diets for Chelon labrosus: Effects on Growth, Metabolism, and Digestive Functionality. Animals, 13(4), 589. https://doi.org/10.3390/ani13040589
García-Márquez, J., Rico, R. M., Acién, F. G., Mancera, J. M., Figueroa, F. L., Vizcaíno, A. J., Alarcon, F. J., Morinigo, M. A., Abdala-Díaz, R. T. (2023). Dietary Effects of a Short-Term Administration of Microalgae Blend on Growth Performance, Tissue Fatty Acids, and Predominant Intestinal Microbiota in Sparus aurata. Microorganisms, 11(2), 463. https://doi.org/10.3390/microorganisms11020463